Father's Day really isn't my thing. However, I wanted to talk a little bit about why, instead of make people guess. I don't want to take up too much of your time, so I'll keep this post short.
Father's Day has always been a weird holiday for me. I normally don't think much about it, even though I am a father myself. Don't get me wrong, I love the gifts I get from my children, but for me it is important to be a part of their lives every day anyway. Today, I am seeing all the posts, updates, tweets, and messages everyone is putting up for their fathers. I see the joy in what they are sharing, but that is not my experience.
As far back as I can remember, I do not remember Father's Day being a big deal. I wouldn't say my relationship with my own father as a child was what I would consider good. I don't have the fond memories that others have. Usually, when I am asked to give a talk on Father's Day, I go with the "God is the only father you need" talk. However, as I think about things today, I realize my dad taught me the most valuable lesson I have ever learned about being a father: Be there for you children, always.
My children are everything to me, and that is the way it should be. So, let me take this opportunity to wish all the amazing fathers out there a Happy Father's Day! Keep doing what you are doing. I know Mother's Day is the big show and Father's Day always plays second string, but you should be recognized for being a good father, because let's face it, there are a lot of crappy dads out there that make everyone else look bad. Enjoy your day my friends, and have a wonderful week!
Sunday, June 15, 2014
Sunday, June 1, 2014
I need to thank two people, Christina Zarella (http://turbulenceintheveins.blogspot.com/) and Claudia Burgoa (http://www.claudiayburgoa.com), for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award! It’s nice to know that people read my blog. If you haven’t heard about the Versatile Blogger Award, you can find out more here: http://versatilebloggeraward.wordpress.com/vba-rules/
Gina Stoneheart - http://www.dawningonanewday.blogspot.com
Rob Distaffen - http://rdistaffen.blogspot.com
Karen Pilarski - http://karenpilarski.blogspot.com/
Rachel Thompson - http://rachelintheoc.com
Lelani Black - http://www.lelaniblack.com/
Stephanie Neighbour - http://stephanieneighbour.com
Debbie Vega - http://debravega.wordpress.com/
Roz and Patty - http://rozandpattywrite.blogspot.com/
Bruce Van Horn - http://www.brucevanhorn.com/
Seven Things About Me...
1. I was born and raised on the Island of Oahu in the State of Hawaii, but most of my family is made up of immigrants from all over the place.
2. I only planned on writing one book, but now I am almost done with my third book.
3. I used to fall asleep every time I watched the first Harry Potter movie. One day my wife made me stay up to watch it. I have been a fan ever since.
4. When I was young I got caught up in gangs and drugs, and consequently, spent most of my young life out on the streets.
5. I am an ordained minister.
6. I almost died in a horrible car wreck when I was 19. I fell asleep behind the wheel and was nearly decapitated by a dump truck. I broke my neck and back, but I was able to walk out of the hospital on my own. That's my faith story.
7. I've been called many things in my lifetime, and without a doubt, "Daddy" is my absolute favorite.