Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Fun parenting moment

This past weekend was my son's last one before the end of his break. He returns to school tomorrow, so no more late night movies, which are his favorite thing to do on the weekends. I let him choose all of his movies this past weekend, and I couldn't have been more happy with his selections! We ended up watching some old school movies that totally reminded me of my childhood. These were movies I loved, and I was very happy to have the chance to watch them with him. I was even more happy to hear how much he loves these movies, too!

The first movie we watched was "The Goonies." I wasn't much older than my son is now when I first saw this movie. Of all the films, this one probably holds the most nostalgia for me. I can remember watching it every day for months on end. Now that I have thought about it, I may have watched this movie more times than any other movie in my lifetime. Back then, I think every kid thought they could go on an adventure just like them - truth be told, I still kind of wish I could.

The second movie we watched was "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." I love this movie. I know all of the musical numbers, and who could forget the part of the factory that was edible? The movie is a lot of fun. When I was a kid, it was on television all the time. I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining. I watched it a lot back then, and I still enjoy watching it now.

The last, of course, was "The Star Wars Trilogy." I have been a Star Wars fan for a very long time, so it was especially nice to hear my son say he liked the movies too. As a child, I had some of the toys, the lunch box, and blanket. I still have some movie items around my house. Those movies just never get old. I love them as much now as I did then. I'm also excited that they are going to make new ones pretty soon.

Honestly, I love every moment with my children. I'm a proud parent all the time, but there is something special about being able to share something with them from my childhood. It's also nice when they enjoy something from my childhood, too. I'm not sure how much of it is actually like it was back then, with editing, commercials, and humor from a totally different time, but it is still a fun experience - one of many that I cherish. So, that's my fun parenting moment. What are some of yours? What movies take you back? Which ones do you like to share with loved ones? Tell me about them. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment