Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Don't let life pass you by



Recently, I wrote about nearly breaking my neck in a freak accident. Since then, my perspective on life has changed a bit. My children have always been the priority in my life, but I haven't always placed the same emphasis on spending time with family and friends. I spend a lot of my time writing or promoting my books. I noticed this week that I spent so much time working on stuff that I let too much of life pass me by.

Earlier today I text a friend of mine I have known since we were kids. Right after I sent the text, I realized I hadn't sent him a text since last Thanksgiving. That is completely unacceptable. Yesterday, I was blessed to have spent time with another old friend and his family (their family is like family to me). It didn't occur to me until later on that I haven't seen or spoken to some of them in months.

I know there is the saying that real friends don't grow apart even if they don't talk everyday, live far away, or haven't seen each other for a long time, but I still feel like I need to put more effort into these relationships. I think it's too easy to get so caught up in life that we forget to live it. We get so caught up in the daily grind that, before we know it, days, months, or years have passed by. It's too easy to take important things, people, and events in life for granted. We figure there is always tomorrow to get it right. But what if there isn't a tomorrow?

Don't let life pass you by. There may not be a tomorrow. Today is the only guarantee we get, so make the most of it. Spend time with family and friends. Live your life with purpose. Don't get caught up in the grind. I think Ferris Bueller said it best when he said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Have a blessed week my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment