Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

My Favorite Christmas Songs

I was having an interesting conversation with a friend recently. We were talking about our favorite Christmas stuff, particularly the things that make Christmas feel like Christmas for us. I noticed that many people like similar things, but there is usually some variation that is slightly different. These variations are what makes a song, movie, or item feel personal. It's what triggers the memories or invokes that special feeling we are looking for. When that part is missing, we definitely feel it. For example, many people like the same Christmas songs, but they may prefer hearing that song sung by a specific artist and no one else. So, in the spirit of the season, here are some of my favorite Christmas songs.

Having grown up in the 80's and 90's, it's hard to get away from this Christmas classic:



I've heard many different covers of this song over the years, but I don't care for any of them. For me, it has to be Mariah singing. Hearing it reminds me of my younger years, back when I actually liked Christmas. However, this is by no means my favorite Christmas song. My favorite Christmas song is "The Christmas Waltz" by Frank Sinatra, and it has to be Frank Sinatra.
 


Hearing Sinatra sing reminds me of my grandparents. It's been a long time since they were around to celebrate Christmas. Being around family and celebrating together was really important to them. It hasn't been important to anyone else in my family since they passed, but I hope to pass on these values to my kids.

I am also fond of "Merry Christmas Darling" by the Carpenters. This one is the one that reminds me of my childhood. Moreover, Karen Carpenter's voice just can't be replicated. It really is a beautiful song. Her voice was so unique.



I had to put this one on the list...
 


I love this version of "The Christmas Song." A lot of other singers sing this song well, but it never feels the same. I just feel like Nat King Cole's voice adds something to this song that just is not present when others sing it.

Of course, my list would not be complete without a traditional Christmas song. One of the reasons I have been trying to get into celebrating Christmas is because of my children. This is one that my son's school does every year in the Christmas program. The little kids always steal the show. This version of "Away in a Manger" is very close to the way it sounds in the program.



Well, these are a few of my favorite Christmas songs. These are the songs that make Christmas feel like Christmas to me. Without them, the holiday would feel incomplete, for sure. These are the songs that generate the memories and feelings that make the holiday feel special to me. Mind you, I'm not much of a Christmas person, but I do still enjoy some parts of the season. Please take a moment to tell me about some of your favorites, and why? Just a few more days to go. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment